MMS Family News for the week of May 4, 2020
Hello all MMS families,
I hope that you have had a good week and that the access to educational materials has become smooth for you over the past few weeks. We continue to miss having our students at school with us and are eager for a time when we can come together as a community again.
Extending our Closure
Our superintendent sent out a digital letter yesterday, and he let everyone know that we will not be reopening this school year. This was a tough decision but was required to comply with the directions from the Governor. He also communicated that we will be closing for summer break on June 5, 2020. The reason for our closing early is to provide us time as a staff to plan for opening next year. Our staff will continue to work through to the end of the year as they obtain professional development and plan for the opening of next year.
As I communicated last week, we will be starting new learning on a pass/fail basis next week. This means that students will begin learning some new material, in addition to some review. Students are expected to complete particular tasks each week from the grade level packets, and they will be scored on a pass/fail basis for quarter 4 based on their involvement. The scores will be entered at the end of the quarter. Below is what you can expect over the next 5 weeks.
- You must be engaged in your learning each week. This means completing work from the packet, attending online classes if you have the ability, and communicating with your teachers 2 times each week.
- Look at your email every day as your teachers will be communicating with you regarding expectations each week. There may be updates throughout the week so keep an eye out.
- Select a UA assignment to work on each week. This can change from week to week. Once you complete the activity, email that UA teacher to let them know or call the school office and leave a message explaining what you did, and we will forward it to the teacher. I will send out the UA message to you and your parents on Sunday.
We will be working hard to make contact with your child. Teachers will be communicating with them through email/virtual meetings/phone calls and other modes of communication. If there is any support that we can give, please reach out to your child’s teachers by email or call our office between 8:00AM-12:00PM, and we will support you. Your child’s teachers will be communicating to you and your child each week with the expectations for the week. You should expect this communication on Sunday or Monday each week. Below are some details moving forward.
- The learning packets that are available online or at MMS include new learning starting next week. These are called Focus Skills and are new for most students.
- Teachers will be adding times to support students in learning this material. The schedule will be included in the teachers’ weekly communication.
- We will be grading Quarter 4 on a pass/fail basis with a focus on students being involved in learning and completing some tasks.
- Packets will continue to be available at MMS for pick up from 9:00AM-11:00AM Monday through Friday or on the district website. If you need a packet of materials delivered, then please call our office at 465-2167 and leave a message with your child’s name, grade, and the address you need it delivered to. If you need meals delivered, please include this in the message along with the total number of children in the home, and we will get this started within a few days.
- Students who are not accessing digital connections will be called by their teachers to check in on their work.
Over the next two weeks, I will be communicating with you to let you know about plans for things like locker cleanout, laptop return, 8th Grade Recognition Night, and other end-of-year events. If you have any questions, please reach out to your child’s teachers.
Take care and stay safe.